Princess in the Trap House

My first semester living on my own off campus was an unforgettable adventure. During the search for housing, I wasn’t too picky because I was aware it was only going to be for a semester, and like most things my mindset was “what’s the worst thing that can happen”.

I moved to a not so desirable neighborhood. If you walk a few blocks forward you where by Johns Hopkins University, but if you walk a few blocks back, you were in the hood. My street was filled with vacant and bordered up homes, but I saw the potential of the neighborhood.

My housemates, definitely added to the adventure of my already exciting setting. It was a four-level home with about 6 bedrooms, and I had about 8 housemates. In the basement lived a couple with a giant mean dog! The woman was in her late 40s, while the man was about 25 years old, and they argued every day all day! Upstairs initially seemed a little calmer, but I soon met the rest of my housemates. A young pregnant woman and her mother lived in one room. They had a revolving door of drama, disrespectful house guest, and sticky fingers. Next door to them was an aspiring boxer, who owned these 2 kittens, who I absolutely fell in love with. He was always nice and respectful; plus pretty much let me play with the cats whenever I wanted. The room directly below me, that was my favorite housemate, and we actually became good friends. He was the landlord’s son and was a recent grad. We both shared an amazing sense of style and had the same mindset when it came to life.

As for me, I lived on the very top floor and considered myself a princess trapped amongst the ratchets. For the most part, I barely interacted with my houseguest, because I was always either on campus or just stayed up in my room. I would hear all the chaos going on below me and knew to just mind my business. Even though I would never put myself in that situation again, I do have a lot of fond memories.

11 Comments Add yours

1. Interesting post. It’s sometimes difficult to live in a setting where your roomies do not share the same values or lifestyles as you. Best.

Liked by 1 person

2. terrihugg says:

It may not be a perfect living situation but the life lessons are golden. Plus, it may make a great book one day!

Liked by 1 person

3. Definitely sounds like you had a lot of crazy adventures lol. Reminds me of my college days.

Liked by 1 person

4. Kasi Perkins says:

Wow, sounds like an interesting living space! Glad you found a friend in one of your housemates.

Liked by 1 person

5. I think it was so adventurous of you to give yourself an experience like this. I wish I had the chance to do something like this when I was your age.

Liked by 1 person

6. This sounds like my first 6 months with my roommate all wrapped into one. I was 20 at the time too, I was working but not in school. I would definitely read more if you post more adventures.

Liked by 1 person

7. cleverlychanging says:

Wow! This was one captivating post. So many adventures. This one, “the woman was in her late 40s, while the man was about 25 years old, and they argued every day all day” totally made me laugh.

8. Brittany says:

Interesting living situation. At least you were there for a brief moment and you found a friend while there.

Liked by 1 person

9. Nika says:

Sounds like quite the experience. I’ve had my share of interesting living situations LOL

Liked by 1 person

10. Mimi Green says:

This sounds like the perfect setting for a movie. One that I would totally watch too. You live, you learn, and you made memories.

Liked by 1 person

11. Monique says:

That’s quite the adventure. I had a situation in college where I barely spoke to my roommate. Years later and continents apart, we are friends and still keep in touch.

Liked by 1 person